Posted by Gordon P. Hemsley on February 20, 2010
Earlier in the week, I went through the process of filing and fixing bugs 546338 and 546340, both related to fixing <a name> problems in Bugzilla. Once that was successful, I got the idea to do a major overhaul of the Bugzilla templates in order to upgrade them from HTML4 code to HTML5 code (sans presentational markup, which Bugzilla has a ton of). I’ve filed bugs 546838, 547171, 546353, 547311, and 547389 for this purpose.
After spending a few days attempting to accomplish something, under the very helpful and reassuring guidance of Max Kanat-Alexander, I realized that it was a bit much for one person to take on. The sheer number of instances of presentational markup (and I only got so far as looking at @align, @cellspacing, and @cellpadding) is quite overwhelming.
But then I thought: This would be a perfect series of bugs for ‘student-project‘; that is, the keyword used to attract open source students to specific bugs that they can tackle during a semester. If we can get a group of students together, along with myself and Max, we can probably accomplish this much quicker.
If you’re interested in helping out, or you know a student who may fit that description, drop by #mozwebtools on irc.mozilla.org and ping GPHemsley or mkanat.
Posted in Mozilla, Web Development | Tagged: bugs, Bugzilla, HTML, HTML4, HTML5, Max Kanat-Alexander, mkanat, Mozilla, student-project | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Gordon P. Hemsley on March 18, 2009
Over the past week, I have been attempting to add real tab support to Bespin (bug 474055), under the guidance of Ben Galbraith (bgalbraith). Discussion on this issue has ensued in many places, including on Ben’s blog (in which he indirectly called me a weird hippie), as well as in at least two topics on the Google Group/mailing list Bespin Core.
The issue behind supporting real tabs is getting the editor to know that a tab is a variable width character. I was able to solve the problem of calculating just how wide that character is supposed to be, but that turned out to be the easy part. The problem that I’ve/we’ve been having is whether to contain all that knowledge in the cursor code (since it is essentially only a display issue) or to allow it to seep into the model code (which does all the actual text manipulation). That discussion is still ongoing right now, but either way, the change would require a little bit of refactoring of a lot of different functions, so that we can keep track of whether the function is getting the cursor position or the model position (as the latter is really just the nth index in the array, with all characters being equal).
So that’s where I’m at now. I’ve tagged the bug with the “student-project” keyword, since I’m a student and I’m working on the project, and I’ve posted a couple of patches in the bug to track my progress (the first one actually works, for the most part; the second one, not so much). All suggestions welcome.
Posted in Mozilla | Tagged: Ben Galbraith, Bespin, bgalbraith, bug, bugs, cloud, editing, editor, Mozilla, Mozilla Education, Mozilla Labs, student-project, tab, tabs, the cloud | 1 Comment »